Saturday, June 23, 2012

Gone With the Wind: The Richardses' Plans to Hike the Y.

Our impromptu roadtrip got off to a flying start. That sounds sarcastic, but it isn't...yet. I'll get there.
We stopped at Burgers Supreme, an establishment responsible for one of Brandon's fondest memories of Provo...$2 cheeseburgers after 8:00 PM. After discussing in depth how much we miss fry sauce and consuming our weight in burgers and said fry sauce, we called to see if our hotel room was ready. No dice. I really wanted to get settled before we embarked on any adventures, so we opted to kill some time at Rock Canyon Park. So did hundreds of other people. So we stayed on the outskirts, apparently just close enough to the road that Teagan was more interested in running towards traffic than frolicking in the trees. After what felt like an eternity of picking her up, setting her down further from the road, only to chase her down again, we packed up and headed for the hotel, hoping and praying it was ready. Instead of dragging baby & baby daddy out of the car to run around the lobby (she doesn't walk anywhere these days) I opted to go in alone to check in. A quick process, right? Not if the lady in front of you takes a "How are you?" from the clerk to mean "Where do each of your children live, how old are they and what are all of their plans for the weekend?" Once 20 Questions was over, I managed to get us checked in and Brandon made 30 trips between the car and the room for all of our belongings.
A quick check of the weather, and we'd be on our way to hike the Y. One minor detail: gale force winds. There goes that plan. We just weren't meant to do that much exercise on vacation! Between the two of us, we've only hiked to the top 3 times. I was sure to take pictures the first time, as I was sure I'd never have the strength to do it again. And as I was on a pretty terrible date, I made sure that he wasn't in any of the photos...does that make me a horrible person? This was back in 2003, when we' just stopped sitting for oil paintings and were getting film developed. So my only only pictorial proof was already scrapbooked.

So instead of risking flying off the side of a mountain, we went a safer route and mosied on up to BYU Campus and wandered around, visiting some of the places we remembered best...meaning the library. We discussed how nerdy we were/are and that we're entirely too old to have a prayer of running into anyone we know. At that very moment, a young man walking down the stairs opposite us cocked his head to the side while looking at Brandon and Brandon did the same. Turns out it was one of Brandon's EFY participants from 2005. Impressive that he recognized him, since the last time they'd seen eachother was in 2006 when we looked like this:
He told Brandon that he'd had a real impact on his life, which was incredibly touching - if I ran into any of my girls these days and they even remembered my name, I'd feel lucky. He'd served a mission (we feel old) and it turns out it was in Brandon's home stake. I let them catch up a bit while I wrestled Teagan out of the HBLL, her muffled screams echoing off every surface of the building. It was so wonderfully unexpected to bump into someone Buddy recognized.
Teagan took the opportunity to fart in the general direction of the Harris Fine Arts Center (click the photo to enlarge it if you don't believe me), since it was socially unacceptable for me to do so. I was so relieved when Communications finally got a building of our own halfway through my education.
We ducked into the Pita Pit for a quick bit to eat and Teagan LOVED it. Did you know that avocado is included as a vegetable and doesn't cost extra? T is avocadobsessed, so it was perfect. After the requisite half hour :) we took a dip in the hotel pool. When I swim with her, it's usually in the daytime so it was fun to have Brandon there. He makes everything more fun - is that a dad thing?
We were lucky enough to land a suite with a bedroom and living space, separated by a door, so we set Teagan up in the bedroom and stuck as closely as we could to the bedtime routine. Being novices, we forgot that when we went to bed, we'd be brushing our teeth and flushing the toilet inches from where she was sleeping. She woke up. But, with a little snuggling in bed with us (I didn't mind at all - doesn't happen much these days) she drifted back off and slept through the rest of the night. Day 1 didn't go quite as planned, but we still had oodles of fun - probably just as much as if we'd climbed the side of a mountain AND our legs weren't sore.

0 pennies for your thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...