How fitting that we'd have to pull
an all nighter while visiting our college town. Except I'm not 21
anymore...I'm still catching up on our sleep.
Every
time I ever joked that Teagan was "part sloth" came back to bite me our
second night in Provo. It started off innocently enough, sticking
pretty closely to the ol' routine. Thinking we were wiser than the night
previous, we put her Pack 'n' Play out in the living area, so we could
brush & flush without worrying. She went down easily enough, and
all seemed well approaching 11:00.
After
Brandon fell asleep I couldn't help but enjoy the free cable - the 10
English channels we have get old pretty quickly. But I would live to
regret that last episode of Sister Wives. No sooner had I turned off the
light and Teagan screamed. A blood-curdling scream that I couldn't
ignore...especially not in a hotel. Thinking that perhaps she was
disoriented or scared, waking up in a strange place I snatched her up
and whisked her away to cuddle in bed with us, since it worked the night
before. Oh, if I could send a message to June 10th Michelle to tell her
not to waste the next two hours of her life on fruitless attempts to
get June 10th Teagan to sleep. Instead, I would tell her not to bother
dragging the Pack 'n' Play back into our room with us, or pulling her
out of it to rock her back and forth and snuggle. I would tell her to
cut to the chase and just set Teagan up with a Dora DVD. That's right,
in one push of a button, I squandered my chances at Mother of the Year.
It became evident to me that she was AWAKE and had no intention of going
back to sleep. Had we been at home, I would have let her cry it out for
a while, and I'm sure she would have given up and slept peacefully. But
with the walls being so paper thin, and the rooms around us all
occupied, I felt badly letting her cry in the wee hours of the morning.
I
broke down and we set her back up in the living area with that
previously mentioned 8 episode Dora DVD and, bless his heart, Brandon
offered to sit out there with her so I could get some sleep. I woke up a
couple of hours later and offered to switch with him so he could get
some rest. Teagan was still WIDE awake - so weird! So I gave her a snack
to munch on while I...hit the play button again! Boy, did I feel like a
terrible mother. But I was exhausted, this was completely out of
character for her that I saw it as the easiest way to keep her contained
and entertained. I promptly nodded off, but woke up when she tapped me
on the face and signed for food. So I gave her another graham cracker
and collapsed until morning. As far as I know, she never slept. HOW? I
have no idea. But my question of "How did she eat those graham crackers
so fast" did get answered. She didn't. She pulverized them.
Sleepless night + crib full of cracker crumbs = an unhappy tomorrow. This was a lot easier in college.
Sleepless night + crib full of cracker crumbs = an unhappy tomorrow. This was a lot easier in college.
1 pennies for your thoughts:
Michelle, your blog always cracks me up, and this post also aroused my sympathies. Why not start the all-nighters really, really young? Maybe she's going through a "I want to try out living on Japan time" phase. Either way, I mourn for your lost sleep.
Post a Comment