Friday, March 21, 2008

Brandon at his best!

Do you know what your significant other does all day? Up until yesterday morning, my answer to that question would have been No. However, I was able to go with Brandon to the place that contributes to our being able to pay rent and sometimes eat food: the Utah State Hospital Physical Therapy Clinic.
Friday morning I tagged along to "help out" (don't know that I was much help...I'll leave the PT'ing to him) and I came home from the experience with a whole new respect for the big man. It's not always easy getting patients with mental illnesses to complete treatment exercises. I witnessed first hand his working with children, youth, adults and geriatrics, helping them motivate themselves by theatrically lifting 1 lb weights and racing them on the Stairmaster. He brought smiles to several faces; others resisted, but overall it was a good day. (To clarify, no flailing, scratching or biting = a good day.) It was so neat to visit the place where he spends so much of his time, and to see him helping people. I'd highly recommend a Take Your Spouse to Work Day if at all possible for you.This morning we went on a field trip service project with our ward to Rock Canyon to clean up a bit. We were responsible for cleaning up garbage (most interesting items found: rusty mattress springs, moldy sleeping bag and ancient-looking tent) and doing our best to make sure fire pits were disguised in order to deter others from resurrecting them (not easy). Apparently on the agenda as well: migrating large rocks and logs. So who do people call on when they come across something large and immovable? Brandon the large and immovable. He was rolling boulders, hefting garbage bags heavier than myself and shoveling coal by the truck bed. How many complaints? Zero. (About a hundred less than myself, who was merely picking up old cigarettes and bottlecaps...but my hands were cold!) What it comes down to is that he is pretty awesome, though he'll never tell you that. So I feel an obligation to let everyone else know the level of his greatness. And for the record, I'm no weakling either.

8 pennies for your thoughts:

Clare said...

Very impressive Michelle. I had no idea you were such a body builder. You and Clint should have a weight lifting competition.

Marlo said...

Wow, you are seriously strong Michelle. i salute you.

Brandon and Erica said...

You are hilarious. A brilliant writer. And so I am glad you are my friend :-). How do you know Lyndsey? what a strange, small, LDS world we tend to live in!

So glad you blog-stalked me so that I could return the favor!

Ryan said...

Michelle, I had no idea you were so strong. But I did know what a great husband you have. You guys are awesome.

Mindy said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA! OH HOW I LOVE YOU BOTH!! :)

ixoj said...

(a little side note) you're getting up there on pages read so far this year. i think you're smoking t-rav. well done!

stacey said...

Pretty confident that our husbands are roughly the same size, and I'm also pretty confident I couldn't lift mine like that. Good work! The only lifting practice I get in each day is hauling my other boy around. :)

I enjoyed reading your tribute to Brandon.

Jack Attack said...

Michelle! You guys are so cute!! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...