Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm a 9 to 5er!

It's official. I'm bringing home the bacon...but not the good, expensive bacon. The cheap, discount bacon. That's right, I'm working non-profit. Having graduated in Marketing & Advertising and promptly moving to Sin City, I was justifiably apprehensive to seek out a career in such. (I looked at some "marketing" jobs and they required me to be hot, over 18 and walk around serving drinks and handing out fliers. 4 year degree for this?)So, I am working for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, coordinating their Team in Training Program, the #1 endurance training program in the nation. Nationwide, Team in Training has raised more than $850 million toward blood cancer research and local patient and family support. I am responsible for recruiting and arranging for people to run 1/2 and full marathons, complete triathlons or 100 mile bike rides for our cause. They raise funds and in exchange take advantage of expert coaching and mentoring, training for 4-5 months through our program (not to mention sweet hotel rooms and outrageous parties...I'm not in Utah anymore! I was offered tea, coffee, beer and hard liquor in a matter of seconds). We help them with fundraising too, giving them a website for online donations and pairing them with someone who has done it several times before.
One of the perks of my job (besides being able to go to bed knowing I'm doing something good and getting paid for it) is the travel. I just got back from Lake Tahoe, helping staff a Century Ride. (That's right, two weeks into the job I was on a business trip!) Upcoming destinations include Anchorage, San Francisco, San Antonio and Tucson. Not bad, huh? Here I am with the team the night before they all rode 1oo miles.I take care of logistics and arrangements, and on race day I'm responsible for taking care of any team member emergencies and cheering on the sidelines ("Go Team" comes out of my mouth, but all the while I'm thinking "You're crazy! 100 miles?!). Apparently I was more zealous in my cheering than they had expected, and they ended up laughing at me as they rode past. But I had the attitude that if I went back to work on Tuesday with a voice, I didn't do my job right. Still sounding a little hoarse, but it's all for a good cause, right?So I've been incredibly busy the last little while, taking trips, working 12 hour days and such, so I apologize for the lack of postage. But, please anticipate awesome posts about our recent cruise and our new condo (once it's clean I'll take pictures). Until then, take a look at the Team in Training website...http://www.teamintraining.org/

P.S. Mindy, please take me off your To Be Kicked List. My reasons are legit.

6 pennies for your thoughts:

JoSue said...

wow Michelle....I think I'm feeling a little bit jealous! That job sounds amazing!! You seems just perfect for it. Glad to hear you guys are settling in and getting your lives started up again. Our new neighbors have big shoes to fill!

ixoj said...

that's what i always say to my dad whenever he signs up for another century ride- "are you crazy?" but he keeps going back for more...i think it's a type of addiction. at least it's healthy.

Mindy said...

Michelle: I think your job is stellar! Marathons and 1/2 marathons! This is my world you're working in! :) Congrats on getting the job (I work non-profit too, dirty darn that cheap bacon!). :) I will immediately take you off the kick list. :) Love yer guts!

BrittWilk said...

i'm soooo glad you're loving your job. it really sounds like a blast! you guys in for the temple this tuesday?...

Shannon said...

woot woot!!! SO glad you got the job! You are awesome and the spot seems perfect for you. (Especially considering the alternatives... selling yourself is really not what the BYU advertising dept. had in mind, I'm sure.)

Anonymous said...

COngrats! That sounds like a great job-fun and fulfilling!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...