Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Journal: Friend or Foe?

In search of a laugh, I have begun to re-read my journal entries from long ago. And laugh I did. I've realized I was of the mindset that I should write about everyone I dated, "just in case". So naturally, Brandon takes up a sizable chunk of my journal...as do several other fellows!
Thinking I would give Buddy a real treat, I began to read him excerpts of my journal that feature the main man himself. It didn't go over so well. Not only did I record in detail our rocky beginning, I also gushed about another man in the same entry as Brandon's debut...I didn't even have the decency to indent and start a new paragraph, oh the shame! But I did use words like "strapping" and "an absolute riot" to describe him. Quite complimentary until you read the next sentence which describes another suitor as "buff" and "muscular". I tried to skip those bits, but Buddy caught on fairly quickly. For those of you who haven't heard the story of our first encounter, the "rocky beginning" I speak of, let me enlighten you...
I had seen him from afar at ward activities and EFY training sessions, but was too nervous to talk to him. One blessed day I saw him approaching our apartment and I tripped over myself running to answer the door. I said: "Hey, you're an EFY counselor...so am I!" His response: "Cool, is Maren home?" Needless to say, my hopes and dreams were instantly shattered and I went to fetch my roommate, who incidentally was a committee chair with Brandon. My interpretation: What a jerk! His take: I'm so devoted to my church calling that I am determined not to let a pretty face get in the way.
Well, pretty soon he came to his senses and I started dating someone else. But, we became friends shortly thereafter and the rest is history. I had to laugh because the summary of the above story in my journal reads: "I had met [Brandon] once before as he had come over to talk to Maren, but he wasn't very talkative." Understatement of the century! So Brandon can count his lucky stars that one day I'll forget how much I hated him because it's documented in my journal as him not being "talkative".
But, I certainly am glad thing turned out the way they did. As evidenced by the pictures -and the fact that we're married- we patched up our friendship during EFY (the left one is the first picture we took together, and the right one is the next year of EFY when we were engaged). But this experience has taught me something: I need to perfect this journal writing thing if I have any hope of making an impression on my posterity!

5 pennies for your thoughts:

JoSue said...

I love that you two were EFY counselors together. I never knew that....but it just all seems to fit. :) Old journals are the best, especially the ones from elementary school when life was SOOOOO hard because your best friend wouldn't play with you on the monkey bars. Oh wait, maybe that was just my life.

Mindy said...

Hahaha! Love it! Good job, you are succeeding at the real purpose of this blog - keeping me entertained! Keep up the good work!

Amy and Jeff said...

I love your posts, Michelle. They're always so funny! I'm certainly glad that you forgave Brandon. Where would I be without my favorite couple to run the baby monitor to when we're out galavanting?

Shannon said...

Ohhh man. I vaguely remember doing this on my own and subsequently ripping out journal pages that evoked awkward memories. Is that bad?

Karolyn said...

You are quite a riot. Brandon is lucky you gave him a "second" shot ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...