I was invited by some friends in the Stake to participate on their Piano Team for a Music Teacher's Festival held at UNLV each year. I was flattered and nervous, thinking that I was in over my head. And I was. But I had the easiest part in a 5 pianos, 10 hands version of the Can Can and thought it would be a great opportunity to do something other than play hymns and teacher duets with my students. Oh, I didn't tell you? I'm teaching piano. So far I have 6 students and none of them completely loathe me, so I'm considering it a success. It's been a really good growing experience for me and I'm happy to put to use all of the training my parents helped me attain (sometimes against my will) as a child. I started lessons when I was 8 with our ward's organist and she was a phenomenal teacher...and had a sweet pool in her backyard and Nintendo in her basement, so Kristina and I would often argue about who got to go first. So much of any praise I receive for things I play belongs to her for instilling in me a love of music and to my parents for recognizing my potential and encouraging me to continue with it into high school (not to mention funding the process - thanks, Mum & Dad!). She taught me how to play the organ (major cool points in high school) and that's helped me avoid any really important callings for quite some time now, so thank you, Sister Holt! But I digress...
We practiced and practiced and finally the big day came. I hadn't yet delivered my bouncing baby boy and could still (with only minimal struggle) reach the keyboard, so I was in. I conned Brandon into coming at the last minute, which meant he had to entertain Teagan through a 2 hour piano concert, so after stuffing her Dora backpack to overflowing with stickers, stamps and snacks, we headed to a concert hall at UNLV. I had to arrive early, so Brandon wheeled Teagan over to Ye Olde Physical Therapy Building, his old stomping grounds and gave her a tour, complete with his picture hanging on the wall. "Wow, that's cool" said I. "Not that cool" he responded, "everyone in the class gets their picture on the wall." Humility at its finest.
| Michelle, Suzanne, Sara, Cheryl and Lacey - The Mom Team |
The big moment arrived and we entered, stage left, in head to toe black complete with boas, head dresses, chokers and garters. Only after we had taken a photo backstage did I realize that I had the garter around my neck and my choker around my leg. Suzanne assisted me in the switch (hard enough to put it on in the first place!) before I passed out. The huge, pregnant lady led the procession as I was on the furthest piano - whose idea was that? I'm sure the crowd (using the term loosely) wondered what they were in for.
Brandon managed to catch the last few bars on camera from a distance, but if you look closely, you may see smoke coming from some of those keys. Not mine - I had the easy part.
It really was a lot of fun and I was blown away by the talent some of these kids possessed. It was pretty amazing. I was just happy to have made it through without going into labour. We ended up with a "Superior with Honours" and a grade of I+. Which must be on a different scale than your typical A-F...I hope. Incredible Plus? Inconceivable Plus? We'll never know.
Teagan managed to stay awake for the entirety (I think Brandon did too) and only screamed as I huffed and puffed my way across the stage to bow (I took so long they didn't wait for me) and exit. We planned to make a stop at Wal-Mart on the way home and Buddy and I both got out of the van to find that she was fast asleep. The girl hasn't napped in months and it always ends in catastrophe, regardless of the length of said nap. So I voted to let her sleep (15 minutes or 3 hours, she'll still be a nightmare when it comes to bedtime) and stayed in the van with her while Buddy fetched supplies.
It shocked me enough that he was willing to come to the Festival that day, so him stopping on the way home to fix the low pressure on my tire scored him some major husband points.
And to round out his nomination for Husband/Father of the Year, he helped me move some more of Teagan's things over to her new room. Namely clothes that she hadn't seen before, so naturally, was compelled to try on. And she knows Daddy's always game for dress-up, so she dolled him up as well. As I took the picture, "We bootiful, Mummy." Yes indeed.
She can't stop at just one hat, so they both have multiple layers on their noggins and carry a purse, which I can only assume is carrying more headgear. What a man. What a gal. I love my people.
Today was a welcome reminder of some of the things that I am capable of, when I so often find myself wishing I could be more like someone else. There are so many things I can't do, but when it comes down to creating a beautiful little family who loves each other and is happy (a good portion of the time), with a whole lot of help and support - oh yes, I can can.


2 pennies for your thoughts:
What a fun experience! My poor piano is used for nothing except piling board games on top of. I'm happy to hear your using your wonderful talent!
I love the dress-up pictures. And yes, I agree, being able to play the piano/organ means a whole string of super easy callings, at least so far. I am primary pianist right now and it's the easiest/most hilarious calling I've ever had. Also, good luck with Jr.
Post a Comment