Sunday, May 20, 2012

And they said it couldn't be done.

Technically, I said it couldn't be done, but who has to know? No matter who the naysayers were, I proved them wrong this week and sewed. Nope, not a typo. I sewed. As in I pinned fabric, cut it and operated a sewing machine. (I won't tell you how much more my friend, Jane, did.) And yes, I'm obsessive compulsive and arranged the crayons in a rainbow (not ROYGBIV as Brandon would have it, but my own personal thoughts on what a rainbow should look like.) Did he mix them all up to see if I would notice at church today? Sure enough. And did I notice? Let's just say I threw him the most evil look one could muster in a church building, resulting in him putting them all back where they belong and all being right with the universe.
It all started when Teagan spilled an entire box of crayons one too many times in church. There must be a better way! I thought. Then the events played out as follows:
1. Saw people plucking plucking rolls of crayons out of their purses.
2. Took to Pinterest to find out how they're made.
3. Sighed deeply.
4. Immediately went to Etsy to find out who else makes them.
5. Drop jaw at how much people are charging for something that should be cheap & simple for anyone who knows their way around a sewing machine.
6. Posted on Facebook asking ladies in my ward if they knew someone who makes them or knew how to make them. Less than an hour went by before someone had offered to make one for me! (I love my ward - and no one's paying me to say it, I promise.)
7. One step further, employing the teach a man to fish philosophy, Jane offered to host a sewing party and help us finish various projects we'd been working on (and by we, I mean other people).

So we partied, we pinned, we laughed, we looped, we gossiped, we gathered. And just to prove that I did most some of the work, Jane thought quickly enough to get a snapshot. Complete with the tongue that comes out whenever something needs my complete and total concentration. This was one such project.
And the finished product: a perfectly gender neutral crayon roll to keep Teagan's crayons in place. Why would it need to be gender neutral, you ask? Because Brandon asked me if now I'll know how to make another one...and it doesn't look good! So what's good for the goose is going to have to be good enough for a potential gander (down the road).
Jane was an absolute dream to put up with my inane questions and not laugh...too hard. It was hard for anyone there not to laugh when she showed me a few stitches on the sewing machine and I asked "Are you making that go with your foot?" I told them I was a beginner, but I don't think they believed me until that moment. Thanks to another friend who hand sewed the super cute button on the front to keep it nice and tight. It was so nice to be surrounded by women who know more than I do and who are willing to share that knowledge.
After all this, Teagan will colour. Or so help me...

2 pennies for your thoughts:

Brenda said...

I love it!! You have hidden sewing talent that you weren't aware of. Now you have made exactly one more sewing project than your two oldest sister-in-laws!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Nick said...

The tongue out thing is a hereditary trait...your grandad did it, your Dad does it and your Brother does it!
Luv Dad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...