Friday, November 19, 2010

What Child Are You?

Don't think that I've forgotten what I said about not letting my baby swallow my blog, but in all fairness, I'm a first time Mum who waited more than 2 years for a daughter whose cuteness turned out to be off the charts (there was some concern!), so bear with me for a few more posts. However, this one poses a question about you at the end, so hopefully you won't stop reading before then!
There's an old English poem that my Mum taught us growing up, that predicts (quite accurately sometimes) what a child will be like based on the day of the week they were born. Intrigued? I thought so. Let me continue...
Since Teagan showed no signs of coming on her due date, our doctor wanted us to choose a day between 40 & 41 weeks for me to be induced. While it may be fairly commonplace to schedule induction or a C-section these days, it felt really odd to sit down and essentially decide my baby's birthday. There were so many factors to consider: did we have other family with birthdays that week that we would encroach on? (Happy Birthday, Manda!) my Mum was here to help us with the baby, so the earlier the better, and among other things - what would her birthday say about her? Scoff if you will, but the poem has been bang on with more than a few of my family members. Incidentally, everyone (Mum, Dad, myself, Kristina AND Nicola) except for my brother was born on a Wednesday. Wondering when I'm going to get to the poem so that fact actually means something to you? Wonder no more. Here it is:
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.
That's right. My whole family is full of woe. Awesome! Turns out Buddy was born on a Sunday, which may explain his sunny demeanor. While it may sound silly, the poem actually came up in the clinic room and while it certainly wasn't the deciding factor (we chose Monday for other more legitimate reasons) but we thought it wouldn't be a terrible thing if we wished her to be fair of face. I think - disagree if you will - it came true! The proof is in the pudding. And by pudding, I mean pictures. Specifically the ADORABLE pictures that our very talented photographer friend Brit (see her website for further proof) took for us when Teagan was 10 days old. Thanks Brit! I hope after scrolling down, you're all on our side that Teagan Elizabeth Richards indeed ended up fair of face :)
So, I'm curious. What day were you born, and do you think it's accurate? (It's okay to admit that you think you're fair of face!)

10 pennies for your thoughts:

Amy said...

Teagan is definitely fair of face! I'm a Sunday babe myself. I sure think that I'm pretty funny. I crack myself up. :)

BrittWilk said...

definitely fair of face the wee one is. i seriously can't wait to meet her. will you take visitors the week after thanksgiving?? PLEASE!!!!

and i was born on a wednesday, but if you ask my parents they'd probably say "full of woe" is the last way they'd describe me. do you have to be blonde, beautiful and british for the poem to work?

BrittWilk said...

and am i bad if i want your baby to swallow your blog? more teagan pics PLEASE!! it's your own fault that i'm asking. you're the one that went off and made such a cute, chubby baby. :)

Mike said...

Your baby is definitely fair face! However, I was also born on a Monday, so I'm afraid the poem is not accurate!

ixoj said...

I was born on a Tuesday, but I'm afraid I'm far from full of grace. Though that's also what my middle name means.

And post lots about Teagan! Just don't forget to also post about yourself.

Clare said...

I don't know what day I was born, but both my kids were Wednesdays...

Melissa said...

I was born on a tuesday and david was born on a wednesday. I wouldn't say he is full of woe but he is way more serious than I am. Both our little ones were born on friday.
p.s. she is so cute, I just want to squeeze her little cheeks. :)

Brenda said...

I was also a Monday baby, but my "fair face" got old long ago. However, I still think my latest precious granddaughter fits the description beautifully!!! Can't wait to see her this week!!!

The Jones Family said...

Well I would say you matched the poem!! She is absolutely beautiful and there was never any question that would be true! :) I was born on a Thursday...I don't really know if I've gone that far but I love the idea of the poem. We are scheduling an induction as well...I guess we'll see how ours turns out :)

Kaylinn said...

So I read the post forever ago and am just now commenting. I'm terrible. But I wanted to mention that I am also a Monday baby. Proof that Monday babies are very fairly faced. :) I'm just saying, Teagan's going to be a knock out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...