Monday, June 22, 2009

So proud of my siblings...

Indulge me for a post while I express my pride in having three pretty fantastic siblings...

Nicola, The Littlest Haw, was nominated Valedictorian of her Grade 8 class this week! Most of you Americans are probably familiar with the concept of high school valedictorians, but Canada gives you an extra opportunity to graduate and get your name carved on a fancy plaque. Yes, Nicola has excellent grades, but what really matters is that she's popular (the staff & students vote for the recipient as opposed to crowning the student with the highest GPA). While I generally abhor popularity contests, they're much more enjoyable when someone you know and love wins one. I couldn't be more proud of Little Miss Thang!
Looking at pictures of Nicola's graduation, I'm realizing that kids are developing faster and faster every year...and that Nicola's flowers were more plentiful than mine - inflation, perhaps, or the fact that I fell short of winning the popularity contest? Here's a flashback...look at me - any surprise that I wasn't nominated? I did, however, scoop up the prestigious Fannie Hislop Award, having the top overall grades in my class and the Music Award, along with my three siblings. Mum & Dad are quite proud to have all four of our names on the same plaque, and even more proud when we display our collective talent at midnight...
Speaking of the other two, they've also made the list of Reasons I'm Proud to be a Haw. Kristina, The Brunette Haw, is getting ready to graduate from university and just got into Nursing School at York University in Toronto! Helloooo, Nurse! Congratulations, Wedge!
Also to be congratulated: Daniel, The Boy Haw, on his recent haircut, sweet sweater vest and not merely being in a band...having a band. My heart is bursting with love and pride for these three. So what, you might ask, am I doing to make them proud that I'm their sister? Well...
  • I drove America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride a couple of weekends ago.
  • I managed to lay in the middle of the road long enough to have my photo taken without getting hit by a car:
  • I was the loudest (read: most obnoxious) staff member out there cheering for my participants in Tahoe at AMBBR.
  • I successfully pulled off a purple pimp hat.
  • I used all of my letters legally in our last two games of Scrabble!
What's not to be proud of? Wow, I need to get a life...

3 pennies for your thoughts:

Adam R. said...

Oh Richards family games. Remember that time we all played together at your little house in Provo? Good times.

Mindy said...

Wow, you've been quite a success lately. Impressed.

Hilary said...

I love the photo of your and your dad in 8th grade! so cute. way to go haw family!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...