Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Staking my claim.

Based on fetus tickers and ultrasound pictures gracing blogs and Facebook profiles everywhere, it looks as if everyone and their dog are going to have a baby (or three) before me, and as a result, my list of usable names is rapidly depleting. I've been keeping two lists of names in my wallet for several years now (and yes, one's pink and one's blue - I'm that anal) and between brothers & sisters-in-law, friends and an uncharacteristically-opinionated-when-it-comes-to-baby-names husband, I've got more than a few names scratched out.
So, I'd like to publicly announce my current top baby name picks for when the rest of the Richards brood decides to join us. **Please note, I do this not to "call dibs" but to make sure that I'm not called a follower should any of you reading this share my taste in names. **
As of 4.19.09, our future children stand a fairly good chance of being called...(drumroll)...
  • BROCK
  • CHASE
  • CONNOR
  • ETHAN
  • HALLIE
  • HANNAH
  • JACK
  • LUCAS
  • MASON
  • OWEN
  • PEYTON
  • SIENNA
  • TREVOR
  • ZOE
**list subject to change without notice**
So now the world has the list. This relieves me of any guilt I may have felt if I had used one of these names after any of you out there. Sidenote: if you're a teacher, please don't leave comments about nasty, horrible children with any of these names, I'd rather not know.

For any interested in the popularity of your baby names through time, the Baby Name Wizard gives you a pretty fun representation of the uniqueness (or rampant use) of various baby names that may help make or break your decisions. I decided to have some fun and check out our names on the wizard and found out that Brandon peaked in the 1990s AND there are more than a few girls running around answering to the name of Brandon, as indicated by the pink shard at the top of the graph.
Looks like the Beatles did a lot for my name in the late 60s but not we're a pretty rare breed.
Our names may have already peaked in popularity, but I like to think we're as cool as we ever were - interpret that how you will. (Yes, those are Sesame Street suspenders and yes, my cheeks were that big.)

10 pennies for your thoughts:

Hilary said...

I LOVE the name Hallie. Its so stinkin cute. I almost named Avery that! Josh is so jealous that Owen is on your list. He loves it! Thanks again for the invite tonight. You're are so sweet and a wonderful friend!!

Mindy said...

Is there a reason why you are staking claim on these names?? Do you have another announcement to make that you have forgotten to mention? PLEASE say yes!

Mike said...

Michael, sadly, has dropped from number 1 when I was born to number 2 nowadays. I'm losing my edge.

Amanda said...

Wes was almost a Mason. I hadn't decided when he was born. Mason may be next on the list though...

US said...

I love all those names! But do not fret.... you know we are not having any more!

lyndsey said...

LOL. first of all i must say i TOTALLY feel you on the entire planet procreating before me. one of my hottest hot buttons of conversation, actually.

secondly, i too have been keeping a list of names for a while now (come to think of it, maybe this is a form of birth control. those people who don't make lists are just popping babies out right & left), and most of yours are on mine. that means you have good taste.

also it means that you and i can choose the same baby name (one day...) and it will be okay b/c i haven't seen you in like three years. so when my kid asks me if anyone else has that name, i'll just say "yes, the child of my really funny blogging friend somewhere out in the world has good ideas just like me."

sorry, long comment :)

Brandon and Lindsey B said...

Cute names! Yeah I decided a long time ago that as long as I am not the sister or sister-in-law of someone with a child of the same name then the name is fair game. OKAY that was a confusing sentence :)

I hope you have one child for every name on that list, you'll need a bigger car though..
-Lindsey

Erin said...

Your husband cannot possibly be as crazy about names as mine, they must all be ca--- according to him! Not a whole lot of choice there, especially with cousins with lots of c names as well! Love the names you've picked, hope you get to use them very very soon!

BrittWilk said...

a lot of my names are on your list. you have great taste and are great people.... so i wouldn't mind sharing names with you! :)

Derek and Emily said...

We thought we were being originally naming our son Ethan. No. It was the #2 name in 2008.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...