2:45 AM. That's what time my alarm went off yesterday morning...on purpose. Why, you ask? Because I live to work. My boss "volunteered" her staff to help at the Las Vegas Marathon on Sunday (in addition to a regular work week, and after I had a work commitment on Saturday and another this coming Saturday). Having gotten lost more than a few times in a "new" city, I opted to drive my 3 co-workers so they could serve as navigators. However, that meant leaving my house at 3:15 AM. Ouch. We were responsible for the Mile 2 water stop, just in front of Caesar's Palace on The Strip. Let's just say I was slightly scandalized by the escapades witnessed on The Strip that early in the morning.In keeping with its reputation, the Las Vegas marathon was a mess. All of the supplies were delivered at 4:30. We were told 4:00, but let's not get too nit picky. However, one integral piece of equipment didn't make it: TABLES. So in a scramble, we were emptying boxes and turning them over, forming makeshift tables that were just low enough to leave one's back in excruciating pain after pouring thousands of cups of water.
Poor Christina and Kristi finally took to the streets, quite literally.
I preferred sweeping garbage. Most of those running are very concerned with the amount of time it takes them to complete the race, so actually disposing of their waste was at the bottom of their list of priorities. Water cups, gel wrappers, gloves, sweaters and everything else was discarded on the street and I was responsible for sweeping, raking and shoveling it into the garbage. We were also conveniently located near a group of Porta Potties, outside which huge lines formed every few minutes. For some reason, no one took kindly to me asking them if they needed water - maybe because I followed it up with "Or is that the problem?" Cheeky monkey.
Highlight #1: we were stationed right across from the Flamingo, featuring Donny & Marie. Do you think the rooms behind the legendary teeth cost more?
Highlight #2: working with some of my favourite people. I really do have awesome co-workers. We definitely missed Heidi, although she was on holiday and probably wasn't upset about missing this!
Highlight #3: The happy helpers. Believe it or not, we had more than 30 people volunteer to come and help us. Good people, every one.
The downside: This was me yesterday with 3 layers, 2 blankets and one wicked fever. I was sent home from work today, as my right lung is threatening to be coughed right up and I'm on the brink of exhaustion. I feel crummy!
If anyone knows of any open positions that won't require me to work Monday - Sunday, please let me know! (I'm not kidding.)
Monday, December 8, 2008
My job is killing me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 pennies for your thoughts:
I'm so excited - I got a shout out in the blog! If it makes you feel any better, I was awake at the same time because we thought it was a GREAT idea to go out on the town until 2am and then come home to a house that has a baby who wakes up screaming for a bottle every few hours. She's not so cute at 3am when Aunt Heidi is trying to get her beauty sleep. Lol. I'm so sorry that you nearly caught your death in pneumonia - but is it too much to ask that you be there tomorrow? I miss you!
You are so funny. Although it is a little sad that I find some joy in your early riser schedule and famous Osmond teeth comment, I do kind of envy your job. I think that would be so grand! Perhaps not the AM deal, but lets be serious, I work with 15 year olds who are trying to "find themselves". Nice!
1. Heck yes I would pay more to get a room behind the picture of Donny and Marie (let's be honest - who wouldn't!?). I would prefer to be in the room behind their teeth. After all, what would an Osmond be without their teeth. NOTHING. NOTHING I SAY!
2. This post actually made me covet YOUR job. Really, honestly. But then, only a person addicted to running would feel that way.
3. I want to apologize for the runners who just throw their cups to the side. If more garbage cans were provided along the road side (about 50-100 yards after the drink station) we wouldn't do that ... P.s. Who needs a drink after two miles!?
Hope you're feeling better--We made our blog private, send us your email (the.serafines@gmail.com) and we'll put you on our list. We don't want to leave you out!
You are a very dedicated employee, 2:45am YIKES! I love that you offered people in line at the port-o-potties water, they probably thought, "oh that poor girl just doesn't understand", when actually you were just having a good laugh. You are great Michelle, I hope you get feeling better and that your lung doesn't come up.
Why hello there! Haven't talked to you for a while. Good to see you have a blog. We have one, too! It's http://daveandamandacarter.blogspot.com. We need your address so we can send you a Christmas card. Tell Brandon hi for us. Hope you're both doing well.
Post a Comment