Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Where NOT to live in Vegas...

Buddy and I ventured to Vegas this weekend to scope out the housing situation. Our accomplishments: finding where NOT to live.We had a few places in mind that we had researched online, and after we saw those, we traveled around neighbouring areas. We walked into one leasing office and were whisked away by one of the apartment managers.
"What are you doing here?" she whispered.
"Um, looking for a place to live," I replied, (thinking why else would we be in a leasing office looking at fliers for the complex?"
"Not here you're not." She then proceeded to tell us that 2 people were shot right across the street last week and that we probably "don't belong" in this area.
She talked to us for almost 1/2 an hour about zip codes we should look into, asking complexes whether or not they take Section 8, and areas to avoid like the plague. Then she laughed at us when we told her our budget. Apparently we're not in Provo anymore. So, the housing hunt continues, in respectable zip codes, thanks to Janel who could have gotten in major trouble for divulging as much information as she did.

But the trip wasn't a total loss...here's a run down:

Miles driven (to, from & around): 875
Miles walked (to the strip, on the strip & back): 7
Meals at Denny's: 2Encounters with the self-professed "Crew the World Forgot" at Arby's: 1 (Toothless Joe, Smokey McSmokerson & Jim Carrey's look alike from Dumb & Dumber - I must say they were the world's friendliest people, I was impressed by their spirit)
Working lights in hotel bathroom: 0 (in their defense, it was fixed the next day)
Wedding receptions at the Howard Johnson: 10 (10 too many)
Wedding receptions at the Howard Johnson attended by someone we knew: 1 (a high school buddy of Brandon's stopped us making fun of the situation...his brother was getting married)Consecutive minutes of working "wireless internet": 5
Bathrooms in fashion show mall in light of Michelle's desperate need for one: 1 (is that legal?)
Times we watched the Bellagio water show: 2
Times we wished we were watching the Bellagio water show thinking about how to spend 13 million dollars: I'm ashamed to admit (a reference to Ocean's Eleven, by the way)Elvis impersonators seen: only 1 (surprised? Me too)Looking forward to life in Las Vegas...

6 pennies for your thoughts:

Mindy said...

Haha! Fantastic! I actually have a friend in Vegas right now whose hubby is doing what Bran is going to be. I can ask about her complex or any in her ward ???

JoSue said...

I love this post! You guys are hilarious. Looking for apartments is seriously so stressful. I'm sure you'll find something soon. Hey, is someone taking over your lease? What is going on with that? I'm curious as to whether Kelley has said there is a waiting list. Let me know.

Alyssa said...

I have a good friend who grew up in Vegas, She was at BYU in my teaching group, do you want me to get the two of you in touch so you can see what she thinks? Let me know, I know that she would be really helpful!!

Marlo said...

I am going to do a little checking for you. Just for fun, where were you looking? I lived on Tropicana once and next door was a daily, weekly, monthly where people were shot all the time. Fun times!

lyndsey said...

okay so i found your blog through erica (who said you found her through ME, so i guess we're already friends that way :) and i just wanted to tell you that i think you are hilarious. seriously. i may be at work right now, slaving away, but that does not stop me from wasting time catching up on all your past blog entries. thank you for the entertainment...i always knew i liked you (AND you married a brandon...meaning that you, erica and i are in a very exclusive club for awesome people). good luck in vegas!

Melissa said...

ha ah I love you blog! So excited for you to be heading some where new. It is fun to get out of provo though we do miss it sometimes. We actually might be down there this fall in vegas visiting curtis's sis.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...