Monday, September 29, 2008

Guess the Obscure Celebrity...

Buddy & I play a game every Monday: The Orleans Hotel & Casino has a new act every weekend and we pass several billboards for said act on the way to school/work. So just before we round the corner, we try to guess who it will be. I must say their variety is quite impressive. Neither of us has ever been relatively close. To give you an idea of how varied the talent has been, here's a recap of some of the names we've seen:
  • Gladys Knight
  • Air Supply
  • Boyz II Men
  • Travis Tritt
  • Trisha Yearwood
  • The Temptations
  • Damon Wayans
  • Alice Cooper
  • George Carlin (the weekend before his death RIP)
You get the idea. Sometimes I don't look up in time (the first billboard is two down from Chippendales) but I could hardly contain my excitement when I feasted my eyes upon this:
That's right, the Osmond Brothers were in town. And several billboards down, MORE Osmonds! It's an invasion! I thought Las Vegas felt more wholesome this weekend. I definitely got laughed at at work this week. Our Office Manager was trying to convince me of the "tasteful" nudity in one of the shows on the Strip and when I expressed my interest in seeing Donny & Marie instead, a hush fell over the lunchroom. I guess Buddy and I will be going it alone on this one. I'm a little bit country, and he's a little bit rock and roll.

By the way, if anyone has a guess on this weekend's act, leave me a comment and there may just be some sort of gold star for you. Or a pat on the back. But good luck, it's not an easy game!

11 pennies for your thoughts:

The Smiths said...

I smell a trend coming on... what's cleaner than the Osmonds? Playhouse Disney. That's my guess.

Mindy said...

From what I hear, Osmond's in Vegas are a packed house! I think people go to see all the teeth involved. They say the average human being has 32 teeth. I'm pretty sure the average Osmond has 46 or something like that! Are you guys really going to their perfomance?

My guess for the next performance is ... Chuck Norris - Counting to Infinity.

Thirdly: I had a dream about you two last night! We were getting on an airplane to go somewhere (duh, Mindy. Why else would you get on an airplane?). Brandon and I were at the airport waiting for you and I offered to go find you. What better place to look for you than at my Grandpa's house in Ogden, Utah. Sure thing, you were there. Tucked away underneath some massive covers. I awakened you and I helped you carry all seven pieces of luggage out (which were all different colors and prints).

And that's all I remember. The end. :)

Matt and Kimbre said...

Kenny Rogers- The Gambler

Ryan said...

My guess is Dana Carvey, Master of Disguise followed shortly by CCR and Engelbert Humperdink. A nice eclectic mix of style and class.

michelle said...

I guess I didn't specify that looking at their website would be classified as cheating. Ryan, you are a tricky one. Well played.
I am looking forward to Engelbert Humperdink, however. Thanks for the tip!

Also, KJ with the Playhouse Disney. So can we expect to see you and your cute babies that weekend?

Mindy: you are hilarious. The seven suitcases does sound a lot like me.

Matt: I wish Kenny Rogers was coming to town. I'll keep you posted.

Shannon said...

Goodness, with you AND Marie both living there, Vegas is becoming your average Main Street, USA!! haha... my guess for this weekend is Carmen Rasmussen.

(ps, when we saw Gladys Knight a couple weeks ago at the Deer Valley Music Festival, she sang Boyz II Men! Check two off your list please :)

Erin_C said...

Excuse me!
Gladys Knight is not obscure!
She's amazing!
Ha ha.
My mom saw donny osmond in Salt lake a year ago and cried.
Guess you never get over that first crush;-)

Matt and Kimbre said...

I'd cry to if I paid good money and had to sit through a Donny Osmond concert.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss this lunchroom conversation? I think I did. Because I totally rock out to Marie Osmond on my ipod just 2 offices away from your area.

Anonymous said...

You are so right about the Orleans...they always have the most random people perform-people that I thought were "broken-up" or dead. So my guess for the upcoming week...WHAM or Milli Vanilli.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I left a comment. I guess you can call me anonymous. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...