Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Home & Native Land

HAPPY CANADA DAY!
Canada Day, you ask? Think Independence Day minus independence. Although Canada is still officially under the rule of England (which doesn't bother me or my family any) it became a kingdom in its own right on July 1st, 1867. I thought they could have chosen a day not so overshadowed by the much larger celebration on the 4th of July, but I wasn't around to stop them. Unfortunately, my employers only honour those holidays celebrated by the country we're living in, so I worked all day, but I must give a shout out to my sweet coworkers who wished me a Happy Canada Day. Not fireworks and delicious BBQ, but close. Thanks, ladies!Here I am with my roommate Meghann celebrating Canada Day a few years back, in a Roots shirt which once belonged only to Canada...that's all we had!
Being in the States for the last 5 years has given me the opportunity to dispel some myths about the Great White North and develop pride in my country I didn't know I had. Some "interesting" tidbits...

"Eh" is not said nearly as much as Americans seem to think.
Nor is "hoser".
That is a maple leaf on our flag and not marijuana.Boxing Day IS a real holiday, and Wikipedia concurs. Click here to learn more about this fascinating tradition (use of the word fascinating is pretty loose here).
"Oh Canada" is taped in the back of Mormon hymn books in Canada.
I have never been treated like a visitor from "the 51st state". Everything short of a cavity search. Apparently I look like a threat.
I once told someone I was from Toronto and she proceeded to compliment me on my English.
I will never get used to spelling favourite, humour, neighbour or honour without a 'u', spell check or no spell check.
I'll always pronounce it "zed" despite the fact that it doesn't rhyme like the American version of the alphabet.
I wasn't born a Canadian, I came over from England. But after passing the test, I had to swear allegiance to the Queen before I could receive Canadian citizenship. Isn't that kind of implied?
I was the guinea pig and got citizenship first, then the rest of the family followed suit. The younger kids were born in Canada, hence only the test of birth. In short, I'm a woman torn between nations. A British-Canadian permanent resident of the U.S. But on the plus side, I've got a conversation starting accent and more holidays to celebrate. So God bless America, save the Queen and keep our land glorious and free.Go hug a Canadian, they're friendly.

5 pennies for your thoughts:

Clare said...

I'm sure "eh" is said just as much in Northern Wisconsin as it is in Canada. I hear it quite frequently - along with "hey."

Mindy said...

I love your cake. I want to eat it. Can you FedEx one my way?

ixoj said...

You should be pleased to know that T-rav and I had a rocking Canada Day celebration with B-rad and Caroline. :)

Josh and Lindsey said...

Go Canada! That cake sure looked good. I am sad you don't live in Provo anymore so you could share some with us.

Derek and Emily said...

Hurray for more holidays, and it's true, you do have a great accent!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...