Monday, December 29, 2014

It's like riding a bike. On ice.

You're Canadian. You can skate, right? Here's where I remind you that I was born and raised in England, with English, Scottish and Irish heritage as far as the eye can see. I immigrated to Canada, and despite skates for Christmas (thanks Mum & Dad!) and skating lessons here and there (when in Rome)  I was never great. Televised skating, while entertaining, makes the endeavor seem entirely too easy and has been proven to inflate one's expectations of what they will be able to do on ice. 
But it's always a fun time and so we opted to go for a spin. Brandon kindly offered for us to ride around the rink without him and Brenda selflessly stayed home with the babies, so I was glad to be able to focus solely on Teagan...and staying upright.
She surprised me and was quite a natural. We did rely a bit on the stabilizers, but she was insistent that she try on her own too. Her cousins took her around a bit and were so sweet to her. Most of the things I'd learned as a child came back to me. Except how to stop. I never really learned how to stop. I managed to skate backwards and didn't ever fall on my bottom - I would have patted myself on the back, but I'm confident that would have made me fall, so I gave myself a mental congratulations instead. Wise choice, indeed.

0 pennies for your thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...