Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Fly Girls and Guys

I've been terrible at journaling lately. No, to be terrible, I'd actually have to have actively done something. I suppose a better term would be "absent". As I sat down to catch up on the {wince} nearly 3 months of our lives, I noticed that I had started an entry about our flight to Canada earlier in May. At that point in time, I must have thought there was enough interesting material about our flight to constitute a post. After a month-long trip, death in the family, move and job change, a flight hardly seems newsworthy, but I will follow through for the sake of following through. 
As we embarked on a full day of travel with two young 'uns, to say I was nervous would be a gross understatement. I obsessed over snacks, entertainment, ideal placement of things we'd need most frequently (aka baby wipes and passports) and the like. I took a page out of my genius sister-in-law's book and found a craft container at Hobby Lobby and repurposed it as a snack tray. I was so proud of myself.

Things started out well, we were in high spirits and managed a horrible selfie en route.
It was SO nice to have Brandon on the flight to Toronto - typically he comes at the tail end of our month-long holiday so this was a pleasant change of pace.
And considering his unique ability to lull his son to sleep on his lap (apparently it isn't just Elders' Quorum) I was very glad to have recruited him for the journey. I will admit to being a bit jealous - he was weeks old the last time he fell asleep on me. Maybe if I spent more time in Priesthood meetings...
And this was a plot twist in our travelogue. Never in a million years did I expect our can't-sit-still 3 year old to zonk out for the better part of 3 hours of our 5 hour flight. This is evidenced by the squillion DVDs I crammed into our carry-on. But sleep, she did.
To make matters more interesting, we risked the implosion of the universe when BOTH of our children slept at the same time. For 15 minutes.
It was the man child, the wee babe, Mr. Grabby, who stayed awake for 95% of the flight and proved muy dificile to entertain. Drinks and snacks had to be strategically placed (incredibly tricky) out of his reach and he needed to remain in constant motion in order to be happy. An empty cup worked for a while.

As did making weird faces and having him try to mimic them.
We looked out the window. A lot. Sometimes there was something to see, but for the most part, giant cumulus clouds didn't entertain a 6 month old as well as you might think.

All the while, T slept. And so did Buddy. I used to share their ability to sleep anywhere and found myself wishing for those simpler times.
I sat, my only entertainment speculating how which would happen first:
a) Brandon would relax his arms a half inch and smash Teagan's face, waking her up.
b) Teagan would startle and smash her own face into Brandon's arm.
The joke was on me when neither happened and she merely slept through him readjusting his position. I was bored.


Seriously, it was impressive.
We were lucky enough to have some in-flight entertainment with TV screens every few rows. I took this picture shortly after they aired a commercial for a new plane that provides enough leg room for you to lay completely flat with room to spare. I nearly wet myself glancing over at poor, huge Buddy wrestling two littles while his legs remain in constant contact with the seat in front of him.
Well, you may be as bored as I was on our flight, but maybe one day when I'm able to read a book on a flight again (cue angel chorus) I will be able to look back on these escapades with littles and laugh. With a drink in my hand and an empty sit in between us and a six compartment snack tray from Hobby Lobby all to myself. A girl can dream.

0 pennies for your thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...