I have a love/hate relationship with The Gutless. I love having a second car, and I love that Brandon's parents gifted it to us. I hate that we can't depend on it. Apparently our neighbours have a love/hate relationship with it too. More hate than love.
After another failed attempt to start it, we took her in to get fixed "one more time" and attempted to sell it to Carmax.
We couldn't part with her for the pittance they offered us, so took her
home, only to have her die in our driveway. Shortly after receiving a
complaint from the HOA about an inoperable vehicle in our driveway, we
received a less subtle complaint yesterday.
We were home, in the office (that overlooks the driveway) when we heard a crashing noise. We hear lots of strange noises on our street, so we didn't think much of it.
But I looked outside to see if I could pinpoint it and saw glass in our
driveway. My heart sank. There's been a bit of a feud on our street and
we thought that we might have become unwilling participants. But one of
the major players in the street drama came over to offer help when he
saw me sweeping up the glass. He had a hunch about who it was.
This afternoon as we were pulling in the garage from church, we were followed into our driveway by a gaggle of neighbourhood boys on bikes.
One little boy on a bike came forward (pushed a little by Kevin, the ringleader) and said in a small voice "It was me. I broke your window. I accidentally hit it with a BB." Caught completely off guard, all we could think to say was "Thanks for telling us. It was very brave of you to come forward."
Now I'm wishing that I'd asked his name, where he lived and what he would do to help us replace it (since the accident story doesn't really sit well) but maybe he learned a lesson. I know we did - don't leave a dead car in your driveway - the HOA will recruit minors to destroy it.

0 pennies for your thoughts:
Post a Comment