Friday, July 22, 2011

Sleepless Nights + Lost Voices = Jobs Well Done

Last month marked a year since I quit my job. While I much prefer my current occupation (and there are lots of similarities) I sat and reminisced today during nap time...
For two years I recruited participants to complete endurance events (like half marathons, marathons, triathlons and century rides) and raise money for blood cancer research and patient support. So after spending 4 months with a team of people, training every weekend and fundraising throughout the week, I had the honour and privilege of accompanying them to their event to see them cross the finish line. Seeing people progress from nervously sitting at an information meeting, debating whether or not to sign up for the program to raising thousands of dollars for blood cancer and crossing the finish line of an endurance event was indescribably rewarding. It always gave me an emotional boost (I was physically exhausted at the end) and kept me going.

I used to receive compliments, saying that it's evident that I love what I do and I have a real ability to make it a fun experience for everyone. Another much-needed boost - one compliment per million complaints was the norm. I got thinking and realized that I may have been successful at this job because of a previous one. Three letters:
Looking back, the things I did for this job are a lot like the things I did in my Especially for Youth days (if you're not sure what that means, it's a week long youth program in the summer led by 20-25 year old counselors...that's where I came in.) Walk with me through the striking (albeit bizarre) parallels...
1. Pimp hats were relied on heavily for both (bet you didn't see THAT one coming!):
2. "Participants". One job had me looking after 14-18 year olds. The other had me looking after adults who revert to age 14-18 when they find out I'm handling everything for them. NO hand holding in one, lots of mandatory hand-holding at the other. What about "meet back here at this very spot at 6:00, exactly 30 minutes from now" did you not understand, woman old enough to be my mother?

3. Dances. The major difference here being the exorbitant amount of alcohol consumed at post-marathon events vs. the stone-cold sober atmosphere of 14-18 year olds at BYU.

4. Gorging myself on pizza. EFY required me to attend one pizza party a week my first summer and more like 2-3 the next. TNT didn't require me to attend a pizza party per se, but let's just say I went the extra mile.
5. Team photos.These events tended to be memorable experiences for everyone involved, so at both jobs I found myself posing for a plethora of pictures. And found myself in the front row more often than not, unable to shake bad memories from every class photo from my formative years.
6. Fulfilling my cheerleading dreams. It may shock you that I was not a cheerleader in high school. The media lead me to believe that the opportunity would present itself to a skinny ditz with long, blonde hair. Alas, no such luck (a pox on made-in-America teen movies!) But EFY & TNT allowed, nay, demanded that I cheer like I'd never cheered before. And I L.O.V.E.D. it! If I didn't finish out the week gasping for air and sounding like a pubescent boy, I hadn't done my job.
And on occasion, I even got to do a lift!
(As the years went by, it took more and more people.)
7. Acronyms. EFY & TNT? Keepin' it simple. Also real. Lesson learned by a colleague:  When flying, it is unwise to carry a "TNT Manual" in your carry-on.

8. Sleepless nights. Being on call 24 hours a day can take its toll. Especially when you're worried about what kinds of trouble teenagers and adults alike are getting into on your watch.

9. Not seeing my husband. We met as EFY counselors the first year, but were never co-counselors. When we worked as BC's (counselors' counselors) the next summer we never worked the same sessions, meaning if we were lucky, we might cross paths running from one building to another on BYU's campus.
 
TNT took me away from home a lot, especially on the weekends (often at 4:00AM) so one might say that between my (unpaid) overtime and Brandon's studying, we passed like ships in the night for the better part of 2 years!

10. Changing and improving lives (mostly my own). Both of these positions gave me the opportunity to meet INCREDIBLE people and make dear friends. I won't make an exhaustive list here, but I think that people like Mark, Mindy & Mike know who they are. Mark (Brandon's BFF) you see a lot on here, Mindy's been featured once - and didn't return the favour and may need to be kicked (I kid, I kid!) - and Mike (I know it's been a while) actually wrote some really sweet things about me on his blog back in 2006 that probably don't apply anymore. He's an amazing guy and I have it on good authority that he is one of the greatest legal minds of our time. We miss ya, Mike! (Please excuse my gum - Mum & Dad, I know you raised me better.)
If given the time, I could probably name 95% of all the TNT participants that I had the privilege of getting to know. I take great pride in my ability to remember names & faces and it's wonderful to be able to keep in touch with some of my favourites via almighty Facebook. I miss my co-workers like crazy, especially since we've all spread out over the last year. While it could have been an awkward situation working with 5 women, Christina, Heidi, Jeanna, Jeannette, Nellie & I genuinely became friends and I feel so lucky to have met them.
Both positions required me to do what I could to help people better themselves by accomplishing personal goals and focusing outward in service. I didn't realize that when all was said and done, I would be the one bettering myself (a work in progress) and growing spiritually and emotionally and I'm forever grateful for the chance.

So there you have it! A tad mushy, I know. But summertime always makes us miss EFY and I wanted to celebrate the landmark of a year post-employment. And while I'm glad to have been able to serve as counselor and co-ordinator, I'm thrilled to bits with my current position. While I have to do a lot of kissing up...
...and my boss can be a bit of a diva at times...
...but a face like this makes all the unpaid overtime a little easier.

5 pennies for your thoughts:

Mindy said...

Oh, but I did. Find your jumping photo near the end. Read. Enjoy. P.s. I want to munch on that baby of yours. http://nikerunner.blogspot.com/2010/04/instead.html

Mike said...

Although it may have been written in 2006, the comments on my blog definitely still apply. You're awesome Michelle!

markmorrell said...

I also need to include that our BC team did all we could to bring the engaged couple together...though must of the time Michele was folded in half on the pee-pee floor sleeping.

Anna said...

Great post, Michelle!

Jenn Miyamoto said...

She's adorable! And congrats to Brandon on becoming a PT...maybe Mark will join the ranks one day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...