Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The (extremely) Great (very) White (further) North

Welcome to the Mother of All Posts. When you cram as much family, food and friends as you possibly can into two and a half weeks, you're bound to end up with a post that some might describe as "intense". Such is the case. I'm going to do my best to summarize our trip, but please know that I can't possibly squeeze all the fun in one post, so a lot of content must be saved for the future (read: if we hung out at Christmas and you know I took a picture with you and it doesn't appear here, please don't be angry, your time will come). But I'll give you a teaser: tobogganing turmoil, all-you-can-eat-escapades and chillin' in Chinatown. With that said...I submit for your approval:

CHRISTMAS IN CANADA (part 1).
What better way to begin a post about adventures in Canada than the adventure we experienced trying to get there. See if you can find Buddy in this picture of THE SECOND HALF of the line we had to wait in to check in for our flight (it goes around the corner behind me). Arrived at airport: 7:45 AM. Received boarding passes: 10:00 AM. Final Boarding: 9:50 AM. So we pulled a Home Alone and ran through the airport, only to find that pre-boarding was beginning just as we arrived, sweating and out of breath with shoelaces untied and belts unbuckled. Awesome. And this is what caused all the craziness. You can still see grass.Now let's talk about Canada. Guess how much of the city was functioning this day? Guess who walked her brother to school in snow past her knees? Guess who got stuck shoveling? Guess who had to wear his wife's gloves to shovel in because he didn't bring his own? (Hint: The same man who brought flip flops on the trip "just in case".)
But enough about the weather, let's talk about family. Like, for instance the traditional Christmas Pyjamas like you've never seen them before: on EVERYONE, boyfriends and Grandmas included. (Aunts, Uncles & Granddads not pictured, but wore pictured pyjamas as well). You've got to give Santa credit, he makes sure no one feels left out.
When I say "show some leg" for a picture, I mean it. Apparently no one else heard. At least I'm in the middle of the height distribution. My Grandma said "Michelle, you've gotten taller than me!" I promptly informed her that I was taller than her at 12 (but I stopped growing then). But she's still got a centimeter on Nicola. The best things come in small packages, Grandma, and you're a testament to that. One thing's for sure, we make these look GOOD.
I'm going to see if Old Navy wants to buy this picture from me. It's worth a try, right? It's nice for Dad and Daniel to finally have some backup. Dad employs Brandon as a bodyguard when he's visiting, as "he's a big lad" and Pablo does well for himself as well.
I love my parents. I always have, although that may be news to them. I have a hard time keeping up with my Mum who's a ball of energy, running here, there and everywhere teaching Seminary, dropping kids off, picking kids up, taking care of people confined to their homes and being awesome. She burns the candle at both ends, but the flames never seem to meet in the middle. This picture says a lot about my Dad. He cracks me up. He got a haircut earlier this day (he's been known to sport a ponytail) and whenever anyone told him it looked nice, he'd respond with "My head's cold". He always takes such good care of his family no matter how hard it is, and makes us laugh while he's doing it.
Not to be forgotten, my fantastic siblings whom I always ask not to grow while I'm gone, and they just don't listen. If I had a nickel for every time someone called me Nicola or Kristina, Christmas would come all year long. On the plus side, I have yet to be confused with Daniel. (knock on wood)
We welcomed home Kristina's boyfriend, Pablo, from his two year mission to McAllen, TX for our church. He got home the same day we did, the day Kristina dubbed "The Day of Glory". The first thing she said to us when she and Mum greeted us at the airport: "5 hours until he gets home!" I let it slide, since she hadn't seen him in two years. Welcome home, Pablo!
Granddad turned 80 on the 21st, and is as hilarious as he's ever been. Grandma had all of the grandkids prepare musical numbers for a birthday party. Nicola and I changed the lyrics to "Puff the Magic Dragon" to "Stan, the Perfect Granddad" with verses dedicated to his sweet tooth in spite of diabetes, addiction to the British soap Coronation Street and the piles of pills he takes every day. I thought it was clever. Happy Birthday, Granddad!
Uncle Tony and Auntie Anne were here from England and our visits overlapped. We don't get to see them often, so if was really fun to have them around...and benefit from all of the English chocolate they brought. Hence the third chin I seem to be working on. (A New Year's Resolution List still to come).
Buddy bonded with my cousin, Stephen.
Having one baby around is a fairly new concept for Brandon, because...
...a typical Richards Christmas looks something like this (with 2 new additions since this picture was taken last year). To conclude the first installment, we had a wonderful time in Canada, and did miss the Richards clan and that fun that follows them everywhere.
Stay tuned for more...(can you believe there's more?!)

5 pennies for your thoughts:

Mindy said...

I got pajama bottoms for Christmas almost exactly like the ones you got. It's official. We're supposed to be BFF. Hey, are you folks EVER heading up to Utah???

ixoj said...

hurrah, there's more! i can't wait.

Hilary said...

How fun! Can we see each other soon? I miss you.

BrittWilk said...

1 - sexy new glasses. love them.
2 - glad you made it - matching pj pants and all.
3 - we're probably coming back to vegas this summer. yahoo!

ego non said...

Nice glasses. They look super on you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...